So, let me see if I can do the math: I paid $20 to register for the Chocolate Chase, the 5K I ran on Saturday morning. And, since I'm just a little too awesome also, I won a $25 gift certificate and also got a cool wicking running hat and some chocolate. So, I profited, plus I got gifts. Does that make me a professional athlete now?
I'm really enjoying these local races - more of them in my future, for sure.
David's BBQ of Valley, Alabama makes the local news. I'm not sure why my Uncle David didn't appear on the video, but check it out to see my cousin Lisa and her Mom, my Aunt Sue. Now that's some Hometown Spirit!
OK, I have to say, I'd never though I'd be repairing html code. Go me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
The Chocolate Festival was excellent -- we spent our share to support the community and returned home with lots of fudge and chocolate sauce! Good for you running (while we shopped and ate).
You know my Pawpaw(uncle David) does not make public apperiances. I am glad you have the link though I have not seen it. I think Kateley is in there also.
I would like to add, about the Chocolate Chase 5K and Chocolate Festival - I was making light of how much I walked away with - a gift certificate, this great wicking hat - but I've spent more than a few minutes in the last few days thinking about how strange it is that races are organized to raise money for good causes (in this case, to benefit service and justice projects in our community, like soup kitchens and food pantries, a homeless shelter, and low income school children, to name a few) and yet, there is some need to entice people to join the effort (and run the race) by giving away gifts and prizes. Yes, those things make it way more fun to participate, but I couldn't help but feel a little guilty that part of the proceeds from the race were spent on a wicking hat for me, which is something that I clearly don't *need* - it just seems odd. It's par for the course, though, as far as races are concerned, I guess. I can only assume that most of the gift certificates and prizes that were handed out were donations from the businesses, but still... Anyway, I guess I'm trying to reconcile that in my own mind. One last note: I did appreciate that the race organizers asked for a moment of quiet just before the race began so that the participants could contemplate the ultimate reason for the race: to help those in our community who have great needs right now.
Post a Comment