Monday, November 10, 2008

End of Another Fun Adventure

I woke up this morning in Charleston. I spent the night at a hotel and went back over to the Klugman house early. I let myself in and then it happened: Kallie saw me come through the door and her face immediately dropped - I think she was afraid that my arrival meant that her parents were leaving her again. So sweet - she was very relieved, I think, to learn that her parents were not leaving her after all, and I knew better than to take her reaction to my arrival personally. Things are all back to normal in the Klugman household.



After breakfast of blueberry pancakes and coffee, Susan, Kallie & Kyle took me to the airport. We all went inside and stood at the big window for a while, watching planes take off and land. And, we talked to Kallie about their upcoming trip to visit me in Virginia. She was excited to hear that Virginia has playgrounds too. :) Kallie and Kyle both gave me kisses as I left and then trotted off happily with their mother, my lovely sister.

I think that overall the whole experience was good for everyone. S & D got some much needed time together. K & K got some bonding time with their Aunt. It was all that I expected it to be in terms of the challenges, and more than I expected it to be in terms of the rewards. No, it didn't convince me to not have kids (neither did witnessing Kyle's birth, by the way, although the brother-in-law was convinced that that would be the end of my desire for children too!). And, yes, I'd definitely do it again.

Of course, the success of the experience has everything to do with the fact that Susan and Dave trusted me with their children in the first place and have such a well-equipped and efficient system in their home, and because Kallie is so smart and helpful and good, and because Kyle is so easy-going, and because Chatham provided a sense of security and affection, and because my friends and family provided me with much needed moral support.

So, tonight I'm going to sleep in my home in Charlottesville. My house feels eerily quiet, even with Garrett and Griffin keeping me company. You'd think I'd be glad for the downtime, but I'd kinda gotten used to the energy and excitement that a full house brings. I'm exhausted, and happy. Still, here's to sleeping in tomorrow....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

welcome home, love!