Saturday, September 5, 2009

Reflections on my first two weeks of school

It has been a good two weeks. Here are some things I've been thinking about:

My good neighbor, the semi-pro-mountain biker, saw me ride up to my house on my bike yesterday after class. He said, "Cat! Good to see you on a bike! How's it going?" I said, "You know, it's getting easier." He said, "It will only get easier." Ain't that the truth. The bike commute, as with everything else in life that you keep working on, will only get easier.

Also, when I told him which route I was taking to school, and was mentioning the hard and long hills, he said, "Don't go that way. I never ride up that hill, it's too hard. You gotta learn which routes are easiest on a bike." The lesson: sometimes the "better" way is the one that takes you out of your way a bit, and even a pro will take an easier way if they have the option. You don't always have to suffer in order to accomplish something.

Next, I've come to realise that I am now surrounded by very smart, alert, hard-working people. In fact, I've discovered that we are often thinking the same things and asking the same questions. What is so refreshing about this is that I can relax a little bit, comforted by the fact that we're in this together and trust that if given a chance, one of my cohort will ask my hard question for me. It's good to feel intellectually connected to such a dynamic and diverse group, and to find that each of you share common traits and a common goal.

More to come.....

No comments: