So, after hanging with Betty herself (well, sort of - really I hung with Teri Kent, the brains behind this cool idea) on Saturday night, I have scoured the Better World Betty blog and am finding it totally inspiring. (Susan - you must check it out!) It's all about going "green" - and it has given me lots of ideas, and reminded me that I need to carry through with some the ideas I've been mulling over for weeks.
My favorite part of the blog is that it simply encourages you to do what you can. Small steps count, and if we all just do a little it can add up to alot. She also encourages you to not compare yourself to others - to take your own path, so to speak, which is a philosophy I really like. Having said that, I spent some time today assessing where I am in terms of thinking in "green" ways and have put together a little list of actions I already take, and actions I plan to move towards in the near future. Betty inspired me, I hope I can inspire you!
Action in progress:
Pledging to stop accepting plastic bags at grocery stores. Opt out of bags when unnecessary. Bring reusable bags to the grocery and more retail stores.
Rarely using ziplock bags, and instead reusing storage containers.
Walking to work at least 1 day a week. (Since pledging to do this about a month ago, I've been averaging more like 3 days per week.) And, choosing a lifestyle where I only drive about 12,000 miles per year.
Starting up recycling at my office.
Recycling and reusing at home.
Pledging to never buy wrapping paper again, as of Christmas 2007.
Learning to re-gift, and to buy used whenever possible.
Turning my thermostat up/down by 2+ degrees. Adding/removing layers of clothes instead up turning up the heat or a/c.
Buying an EnergyStar refrigerator.
Using Compact Florescent Lights in about 50%+ of my light fixtures at home.
Buying locally from Horse & Buggy Produce.
Eating meat-less about 80% of the time.
Unplugging appliances when not in use, especially the coffee maker, toaster, and tv/dvd.
Hanging some clothes on the line to dry, and using the automatic setting on the dryer.
Installing a water saving shower head.
Cutting old sheets into reusable rags.
Action in the works:
Begin composting again (I'm about 20% of the way there, as of last week).
Use more environmentally friendly cat litter.
Use my gas lawnmower less frequently (say every 10 days, instead of every 7, maybe?).
Limiting my trips to Whole Foods.
Sealing up windows/doors in my home.
Close storm windows in Winter.
Please share your ideas, I'd love to be inspired again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment