Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Oh my

I woke up this morning and quickly realised something was amiss. Griffin was very vocal and was practically yelling at me. It took me about 30 seconds to realise that I hadn't seen Garrett all night. Then I realised that somehow, I just accidentally left Garrett outside all night. I'm not even sure how he got out. Oh my. He was panicking on the front porch when I opened the door this morning. His paws are all dirty. A toenail is bloody and broken. He busted his coat and filled up 3 or 4 brushes worth of fur. His allergies were giving him green gooey and dark red eyes.

Deciding that a visit to the vet might be in order, for his conjunctivitis, and apparent allergies, and his bloody toe, and also so that I could confess how terrible a mother I am, we went. Garrett got a Benadryl shot - knocked him out. Toe looks better. He still loves belly rubs at the clinic, all is not lost.

And, the mystery is solved - a window screen had been pushed out and rested on the ground under the mud room window. Garrett must have fallen (jumped?) out sometime on the early side last evening. That would explain why he didn't come running when I put his dinner down.

All I have to do is keep track of myself and two cats. And, somehow, I couldn't manage to do that last night. ::sigh:: And, even odder is that I didn't feel nearly as panicked as I think I should have been... Hm.

All right, 3 souls, 8 paws and 2 feet accounted for tonight. Good night's rest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yikes! i'm so glad he stayed there at the house and didn't run off and get lost.

Cat said...

I'm glad too. Luckily, both of my cats like sticking close to home. They are very content as indoor cats, which is good, because I'm very content as an indoor cat caretaker. :)