Sunday, October 21, 2007

Catching up

There are a few things that've been rattling around in my brain today, so let me catch my blog up to the tickertape in my head. I borrowed that idea of the tickertape in your mind from my friend J. who I hung out with last night (along with K, who has previously requested that I mention him more often in my blog! Do people get to do that? Request more mentions in someone's blog?). Anyway, back to the original thought about last night which was...oh yeah, last night, what a pleasure it was. A sports bar with a barkeep who was born for his profession, energetic, motived, a lover of alcohol, and his hobbies included, let's see, drinking and bowling. Awesome. And, a reminder that people are endlessly facinating.

Also, yesterday on my drive, I was trying to remember how long it'd be since ... well, the what isn't important, so much ... the funny part was the I couldn't remember the year. I get cloudy when I start trying to remember when something happened. Like, what year was it that I had such a great vacation in MT? 2003, 2004? I don't remember. As for this other thing, I ended up having to do what always seems to work for me and that is to connect the event to the place where I was living at the time. It used to be that I could narrow events down to 3 or 5 year periods because I could remember, for example, that I lived in Italy between 1988 and 1991, so I knew I musta been so old, or in what year in school, etc. Well, now, I've been here so long, that I'm having to narrow it down to what street I lived on, and that's what I did again, and so I narrowed it down to ... well, it musta been two and a half years ago, because I was living in that place on Harmon Street. Yep. It really helps you gain some perspective on your life when you get to the point where events that were so important at the time become faint sketches of experience, the details of which now reside barely within reach of your memory. And, then you wonder why events in the now seem so fucking important, ya know? And, maybe the answer to that is that all we have is the now, so we hold onto it with gorilla grips and shake the shit out of it until it surrenders. Probably some of us shake with less passion than others do. I don't even know how hard I'm shaking right now - it's certainly an indecisive shake, that's for sure.

Anyway, there was more, but I'm getting distracted by P's songs-of-the-week, and I need to go study and want to call my Pa.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

K? K?? what about me? i want a mention! maybe about my brownies..